In the period 2011 - 2015 the staff of the department will be working on two basic projects:
А)Mathematical modeling and numerical simulations of phenomena and processes occurring in nonhomogeneous many-particle systems
B)Mathematical modeling and numerical simulations of multi-scale processes and phenomena in micro- and nano-fluidic systems
The basic accent of the research carried on in the Department will be on the development of models, algorithms, numerical methods and software products for:
1. Mathematical modeling of the interactions, the properties and the behavior of low-dimensional fluidic systems, including their study as a part of micro and nano-systems and devices.
2. Modeling of processes in micro-fluidics and the emerging pioneering field of nano-fluidics.
3. Numerical algorithms and specific realizations for application of Monte Carlo methods for the study of:
- Rarefied gas-flows in micro-channels and gaseous MEMS
- Transport process and biological systems
- Phenomena, based on self-organized criticality: avalanches, earthquakes etc.
4. Modeling of the processes of wetting and spreading of liquid on chemically heterogeneous and rough surfaces. Modleing of interfaces - properties and interaction of micro and nano-objects with them.
5. Development of effective parallel algorithms for the specific software applications
6. Taking into account that the Institute of Mechanics is in the research field "Information and Communication Technologies" of BAS, mathematical models of information and communication processes, based on the complex system methodology will be developed in the department MM MCS.. The last includes using the experience in modeling of non-equilibrium thermodynamical systems, self-organized criticality, dissipative processes, which are also a subject of research in above formulated problems 1-4.